Since 1965, over 220,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program have joined the fight against poverty by helping local organizations expand their capacity to make change. The VISTA program serves in each of the 50 U.S. states and in all U.S. territories.
Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting and gain experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
Members receive a biweekly living allowance to cover basic expenses and can choose between a Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,495) to pay for a range of education expenses or a $1,800 cash stipend.
New York State COVID-19 Response VISTA Project
The New York State COVID-19 Response VISTA project builds the capacity of state agencies to serve vulnerable New Yorkers who are dealing with the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic. New York State VISTA members bring their passion and skills to contribute to systemic problem solving in their host agency’s area of expertise, alleviating the longer-term fallout of COVID-19 in New York.
AmeriCorps New York VISTA Members
• New York State Commission on National and Community Service (Project Sponsor)
• New York State Executive Chamber Nonprofit Unit
• New York State COVID-19 Response VISTA Leader builds the capacity of the New York State Commission on National and Community Service to lead a team of approximately 10 VISTA members as a mentor, facilitator, liaison and resource generator.
• Outreach & Program Development for the Blind VISTA builds the capacity of the New York State Commission for the Blind to ensure that legally blind New Yorkers have access to resources and services through outreach and program development.
• Arts Resource Development VISTA builds the capacity of the New York State Council on the Arts to support arts and cultural organizations and artists by increasing online resources and awareness of the impact of arts on the wellbeing of New Yorkers impacted by the pandemic.
• Food Policy & Outreach VISTA builds the capacity of the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets to improve the food security of children and SNAP recipients by building coalitions, strengthening partnerships, and developing blueprints for statewide cooperation around increasing access to healthy local foods.
• Veteran Homelessness Resource & Information VISTA builds the capacity of the New York State Division of Veterans' Services to ensure veterans struggling with housing instability and homelessness are connected with essential services through outreach and coordination of statewide efforts.
• Nonprofit Research & Partnerships VISTA builds the capacity of the Executive Chamber Nonprofit Unit to promote collaboration among New York State nonprofits responding to pandemic-related challenges by expanding research, outreach, and partnerships.
• Domestic Violence Response & Prevention Systems VISTA builds the capacity of the New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence to respond to victims and survivors of domestic violence by ensuring that community response and prevention mechanisms are strengthened and institutionalized.
• School Based Mental Health Coordinator VISTA builds the capacity of the New York State Office of Mental Health to ensure that children who attend the highest needs schools receive educational, social, and emotional support by identifying School Based Clinic resources across the state.
• NYS Pandemic Recovery Homeless Services Coordinator VISTA builds the capacity of the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance to help communities recovering from the pandemic plan for and provide housing resources to address the needs of homeless families and individuals in their community.
Available VISTA Positions
• New York State COVID-19 Response VISTA Leader hosted by the New York State Commission on National and Community Service. Apply here.
• New York State Domestic Violence Prevention Systems VISTA hosted by the New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence. Apply here.
• NYS Pandemic Recovery Homeless Services Coordinator VISTA hosted by the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance. Apply here.
• Executive Chamber Nonprofit Unit Partnerships VISTA hosted by the New York State Executive Chamber Nonprofit Unit. Apply here.