Public Health AmeriCorps
The Commission is pleased that AmeriCorps and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are partnering to provide $400 million in funding for a Public Health AmeriCorps! The Commission encourages eligible organizations to apply for Public Health AmeriCorps funding and is eager to partner with funded organizations.
For more information about the Public Health AmeriCorps initiative, including how to apply for funding, please review the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) and other application documents available here.
Please note: The deadline to apply is Monday, November 8, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. ET.
Partnering with the Commission
Working with a strong network of partners, the Commission has developed an AmeriCorps New York Public Health Corps program which is currently in a pilot phase; however, the Commission is always interested in adding more resources and partners to our network, and to add your organization to this comprehensive, statewide effort.
Organizations which are awarded Public Health AmeriCorps funding that operate solely within New York State are expected to be included in the Commission's portfolio of AmeriCorps programs. Benefits of partnering with the Commission include the following:
- A dedicated New York State AmeriCorps program administrator assigned to your program
- On-going training and technical assistance
- Access to the Public Health Essentials training curriculum developed by Cornell University
- Invitations to Commission-sponsored trainings and events, such as the annual AmeriCorps Service Summit
- Access to the Commission's partner network, including SUNY, Cornell University, the New York State Department of Health, and others
The Commission strongly encourages applicants to include the following commitments in their Public Health AmeriCorps applications:
- Budgeting for Commission-led staff trainings and the AmeriCorps Service Summit for staff and members. (Budget recommendation: $2000.)
- Budgeting for participation in the Cornell University Public Health Essentials Training. Applicants should budget $700 per AmeriCorps member. The Commission will contribute an additional portion of the cost for each member, and Cornell University will offer one free staff spot for every 10 members who enroll.
*Please note that if your organization is awarded a Public Health AmeriCorps grant, your organization will be asked to sign an AmeriCorps contract with the New York State Office of Children and Family Services. Prior to finalizing the AmeriCorps contract, your organization will be asked to submit qualifying documents and to meet other New York State contracting requirements.
AmeriCorps New York Public Health Corps
Over the past year, the Commission has worked with the New York State Department of Health, Cornell University, the State University of New York (SUNY), and AmeriCorps partner organizations CHCANYS (Community Health Care Association of New York State) and the Rural Health Network of South Central New York to develop a pilot health corps that operates throughout New York State. For more information about this initiative, including links to apply for membership, please visit AmeriCorps New York Public Health Corps.
Serve with Public Health AmeriCorps
Information about enrolling as a Public Health AmeriCorps member will be provided after grants are awarded.
For information about serving with an AmeriCorps program currently operating in New York, please visit here.
Public Health Programming Fact Sheet
A printable summary of the various public health service initiatives currently operating or launching soon in New York State.